Modern Foreign Language learning enables children to widen their horizons and be able to travel confidently now and in later life. It also helps children to understand the diversity of cultures around the world and activate different areas of their brain, helping to reduce to cognitive decline of ageing!
At Bowdon Church School, children participate in regular FRENCH lessons from Year 3 to Year 6.
We aim to develop children’s experience of language acquisition and encourage curiosity about languages. To develop their understanding of what they hear and read, and have an ability to express themselves in speech and writing, extend their knowledge of how language works and explore differences between French and English. Pupils will strengthen their sense of identity through learning about culture in Francophone countries and comparing it with their own culture.
At BCS, our approach to teaching and learning enables all pupils to achieve success in maths irrespective of specific learning difficulties, disability, gender and racial grouping. We aim to develop in children:
- A positive attitude to French language learning as an interesting and valuable subject
- An understanding of French language and culture through
- A range of learning strategies: working both cooperatively, collaboratively and independently
- Confidence in French where children can communicate freely and confidently with adequate support
- An understanding of the importance of French and other foreign languages in everyday life
We achieve this by
- using active and stimulating teaching approaches, such as:
- reading stories
- singing songs
- playing games
- role playing
- written work
- focus on lots of repetition and reproduction
- focus on clear and concise pronunciation using authentic language sources
- taking time over each new skill or vocabulary set
- revisiting pre-learned vocabulary and grammar skills
- ensuring that children enjoy challenging French and do not fear the unknown
- encouraging pupils to use a range of independent learning strategies, for example translation using a French dictionary