Reading is still an important aspect of Y2 homework. 10 minutes per evening is perfect and discussion about the text is much more beneficial than reading through them quickly to try and move through book bands faster. Book bands are broad so we are able to keep the children on them as long as we feel necessary, therefore we can extend/reduce time on them according to the children’s needs.
The school have signed up to an online Maths homework website called My Maths. We will set all Maths homework through this in the future and new homework will usually be available from Tuesday afternoons.
Spellings will come home each Tuesday and we will test the children the following Monday. Some weeks the children may also have an additional spelling and grammar sheet or comprehension sheet aimed at complementing our work in class.
Access My Maths here...
Please contact your teacher if you have forgotten/lost your in log in details.
Play hit the button!
Test yourself against the clock...
Recommended Books for Year 2
Can your child...?
It would be beneficial to your child if they
- Can write their full name and address correctly
- Correctly write their D.O.B
- Can count in 2s, 3s, 5s and 10s, forwards and backwards
- Know number bonds to 10 off by heart
- Know doubles (up to 100) off by heart
- Know whether a number is odd or even, and tell you which digit indicates this
- Can quickly recall pairs of numbers that make 5,6,7,8,9
- Understand mathematical language such as twice, triple, dozen, half a dozen etc
- Can spell the Y1 common exception words
- Understand where capital letters are used
- Understand the difference between a full stop, exclamation mark and question mark and know which types of sentences need them at the end
- Learn the Common exception words for Y2
- Take responsibility for their belongings
- Hand homework in on time
- Know how to use a paintbrush correctly (encourage strokes, it is not the same as using a pencil)
- Play nicely at break times
- Tie their own shoe laces